- In writing up the excuses, I forgot the "strength of schedule" excuse. I mean we've played three, I mean two, very difficult opponents. Still, Northwestern is a quality football program that's clearly on the rise...or at least they were until they lost to an 0-2 Army team today. And we still have UCF, who lost to Florida International yesterday...
- Yes, BC fans. If you want to play the analogy game, BC is now officially worse than Richmond, Army, and Florida International. Let that sink in for a minute before moving on to bullet point three.
- Where are we as a football program when Bill Romanowski is in the BC hall of fame? I mean, seriously, if you go to his Wikipedia page the headings are "1. Altercations 2. Involvement in the BALCO scandal." Not really the type of guy I think of when I think about classy BC players I want our current student athletes looking up to. He was known as one of the dirtiest players in the NFL and was cutting edge in the steroids movement.
- Also, I have to imagine that having Bill Romanowski in the hall of fame seriously damages the impending argument the athletic department is about to make against giving Mike Leach an interview. "He might embarrass the program." I understand that, but the program just got embarrassed by Duke AND Bill Romanowski is in the hall of fame right now, so there is no more moral credibility.
- Just for kicks I looked up what the qualifications are to be in the hall of fame: Established in 1970, the Boston College Hall of Fame honors those men and women whose exceptional performance on the fields of friendly strife and, in later years on other fields, merits special recognition from alma mater. Each year's inductees are honored at a special banquet. Hall of Fame members are permanently enshrined on the Wall of Fame in the west concourse of Conte Forum.
- My buddy Max just e-mailed me the following: "I felt I could take myself to a place where other guys weren't willing to go because come Sunday after a game, I already started hating the next opponent. I started hating the guy I was going to go against," says Romanowski. "I hated the coaches. I hated their fans. I hated their family. You name it. And by the time I got onto that field come Sunday, watch out because there was rage." Ummm, dude...there's a term for that...roid rage...
- Congrats to GDF on being inducted. I know that a lot of people have some issues with the current direction of the football program, but overall he has been a highly successful athletic director for BC. The three major sports for BC have had a lot of success since BC joined the ACC, and hopefully basketball and football can get back on track soon.
- When I saw GDF on the field at halftime, I was half-hoping for a WWE-style smack-down, in which GDF was handed a mike, called Spaz out from the locker room Vince McMahon-style, and made a coaching change to a roaring audience.
- I wonder if BC/Spaz would consider a situation in which Spaz returns to being a defensive coordinator at BC. That would really do wonders for Spaz's legacy, and get him back to doing what he's really good at, coaching defense. I also think this would be feasible from the standpoint that Spaz doesn't really have a strong personality that would conflict with a new HC. Stranger things have happened...
- What if Mike Leach coached BC next year?
- Imagine that next week the following conversation goes down between two blue-collar Boston workers with no affiliation to BC: Worker 1: "Hey, do you want to catch the BC-UMass game this weekend? Maybe grab a few beers before hand?" Worker 2: "(laughs)"
- Now let's do that again: Worker 1: "Hey, do you want to go see Mike Leach and his air-raid offense?" Worker 2: "Mike Leach is at BC??? Hell yeah, I'm in!"
- I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
- Coming attractions for the beginning of the week; post on GDF, post on ACC expansion, post on Mike Leach possibilities.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Additional Recap Notes
Because one recap isn't enough...
Posted by Mike at 8:59 AM