- In a Boston Herald article, Chase Rettig said, "When I heard the news (that Rogers was taking a leave of absence)..." Not to read too much into one sentence, but if Rogers was really taking a medical leave of absence, wouldn't he have told Rettig personally? I mean this is probably the guy on the offense he's closest to, and the one guy he was brought in to personally mentor. Rogers not telling Chase personally makes me believe the firing rumors even more.
- Does it strike anyone else as odd that we're only bringing in one defensive end recruit this year? I mean, that is the weakest position on the team, so only one d-lineman seems odd, unless Spaz wants to give the position a whirl himself...open tryouts anyone?
- If BC football and I were married, we'd be in marriage counseling right now. It's one of those situations where we both know that we can't live without each other, but your spouse is really mailing the relationship in. I mean, it's like as if you married a really hot girl in 2007 and by 2011 she was like 300+ pounds wearing sweats everyday...A certain amount of that is to be expected, but still...(Alex wrote me to say "I don't think it's inappropriate, but I think the metaphor falls short. In the metaphor, the 300 plus pound woman clearly can live without you; it's why she ain't worried about packing on the pounds. Similarly BC football right now doesn't appear worried about losing you (the pathetic efforts, losses, etc.) so the only thing I would say is to change the part of where you say you both know you can't live without each other...maybe something about you married her in 2007 and thought you'd never stop loving her, but after jelly filled doughnut after jelly filled doughnut made its way down her esophagus and into her ever expanding belly, you've started to wonder how much you can take)...the man brings up a great point
- Can you imagine what would happen if Jerry York decided to retire this year? Hockey is pretty much the only thing we have going for us right now...
- On the upside, women's field hockey is ranked #8 in the country. I wonder what it's going to take for the student body to get behind this team and turn out to games. Maybe a national championship?
- UGBC is bringing back maroon and gold Friday's for undergraduates. I seem to remember this tradition from my early days at BC, but it definitely hasn't been prevalent in recent years. Anything to rebuild the shattered student spirit is a positive in my mind, so I'll start wearing my BC gear on Fridays and you should too. Really, BC should try to get all of its alumns to start doing this as well. It would be pretty cool to see BC alumns wearing BC ties to work, or sport BC coffee mugs in the office on every Friday.
- Prediction for tomorrow's game? Yeah, let's do it: BC 27 Duke 10. I'm really tempted to pick against BC here but it's just not going to happen. Duke's offense hasn't been very good, we're playing at home, and BC can't possibly be as bad as they've played for the past two games. The home crowd helps BC regain its composure after a first quarter turnover and BC coasts to victory.
Friday, September 16, 2011
Friday Afternoon Ramblings and Prediction
Okay, BC has not been good this year, but we can shoot to the top of the conference with a win tomorrow against lowly Duke. Conversely, a loss here will turn BC fans into a shade of Brian Kelly. I don't know that I have that much emotionally invested in this game, which is a really odd feeling for me. I just feel like I haven't gotten over the past two weeks of heartbreak yet. That will probably change by the opening kickoff, but right now I'm really curious to see what happens tomorrow. Will this be the start of something "unexpected" or will Spaz throw in the yellow towel? It's pretty bad when the most interesting story line of the game is the status of your head coach.
Posted by Mike at 2:55 PM