Also of note today:
- BC is now officially up to 14 recruits. We've said all along that we thought this would be a small class, but perhaps losing a few guys over the summer will allow BC to take a few extra guys in. I continue to wonder why we took so many 2-star guys so early in the process.
- A few people have suggested that Spaz wanted recruiting finished by the start of the season but we're also holding some official visits during the home games. I don't know how much of a distraction recruiting is to day-to-day practices and game preparations.
- I keep threatening to write an article on why BC should switch to a 3-4 defense, but the more research I do, the worse this idea seems. It seems like if we're going to put the best 11 defenders on the field in any given place, Max Holloway would clearly be on the field. This would give us a 3-4, possibly with Dillon Quinn at NT. Unfortunately, the college success rate for 3-4 defenses is shockingly low. Notable 3-4 college teams? Navy and Virgina. From what I can tell, that's it, but if anyone knows of any more college teams that run it feel free to shout them out on the comments section (I know Penn State runs the 3-4 occasionally but they seem to be a 4-3 the majority of the time).
- There is a possibility that Around the Res will be hitting the airwaves during the UCF game. Stay tuned for confirmation and details.
- If the Big-12 lets TAMU run for the SEC and the SEC invited FSU, does the ACC react strongly and expand directly to 14 or 16, collapsing the Big East? I would hope so but the ACC's lax attitude so far has me worried.
- With conference expansion, this is not a good time for BC to be having a down year. Any attraction we had for the Big-12 is quickly going out the window.
- In my defense recap after the Northwestern game, I noted that the D-Linemen looked out of shape. Now there are unconfirmed reports of a D-Lineman throwing up on the sidelines during the game. I don't know if it was a conditioning issue, sickness, dehydration, or something else but the conditioning of the front four is looking more and more suspect right now. Of course, it's still very early in the season and any speculation on conditioning will immediately end with a strong performance on Saturday...